Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Who am I?

That's a good question. It took me awhile to think of an answer, that's why I say that (even though I titled it lol). I'm a quite of an optimistic person. I haven't always been this way until recently when I noticed my life wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Of course it isn't the greatest life, but I make the best of it. Well my title is basically self-explanatory but I'll be forward and say I'm an undocumented immigrant. My parent's brought me to this country when I was young and in my opinion I was pretty much born in this country since I have no fond memory of my birth country. My status does keep me from doing many things such as applying for work, driving legally, etc. But I don't blame my parent's for placing such burdens on me. If anything I thank them for granting me such a great life that I've had in this country. I've learned two languages (Spanish and English) and going on my third, which is French. I'm currently enrolled in college working on my Associate's Degree but afterwards I pretty much won't have many options as to what occupation I could apply for. But luckily there's hope. Since 2001, a legislation that I've been keeping up with, the DREAM Act, will bring the prosperity I've been longing for. It will grant me conditional residency for 6 years which in that time I will have had to acquire 2 years of millitary service or 2 years of college. In my opinion I don't see how this legislation would hurt this country. I would benefit more to this country by working and paying taxes than just sitting around doing nothing. Many students I know are in the same situation as I am. They have finished a degree, and are now stuck doing nothing due to their status. So, please if you could support this legislation by calling your congressmen to favor this bill. Keep reading my posts to keep up on My Undocumented Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment